On average, a person will spend one-third of their life asleep, and getting sufficient rest is critical to aiding many of the body’s natural processes that are responsible for mending and renewing itself. Because of this, getting enough sleep becomes even more vital as we get older; hence, one’s bed should be made to be as comfortable as is humanly possible.
Given this factor, adjustable beds are becoming increasingly popular not only among individuals of all ages but also among the population of older citizens. The following are some additional advantages of these contemporary beds, as well as crucial issues that should be taken into consideration, such as selecting the appropriate frame, mattress, and accessories, and providing an estimate of the typical cost.
Benefits of adjustable bed/ recliner bed for elderly
Adjustable beds are virtually identical to those used in hospitals and clinics. Depending on the model selected, they may empower users to raise and lower the head, feet, knees, and even the center of the mattress and frame in order to position themselves comfortably in bed.
These are perfect for those who enjoy sitting up in bed to read, watch television, or dine, and are particularly useful for bedridden elderly. However, they can be modified at night to promote better sleep while providing a number of potential side advantages, such as:
- Back and body pain relief, especially those associated with fibromyalgia and restless legs syndrome.
- Enhancing digestion and decreasing acid reflux and heartburn.
- Snoring, asthma, and sleep apnea are alleviated.
- Enhancing the body’s circulation and reducing edema.
- Relieving arthritis and other degenerative disease symptoms.
- For individuals with mobility issues, facilitate getting into and out of bed.
By selecting the most suitable adjustable bed for their needs and lifestyle, seniors can enjoy increased independence and wake up feeling rejuvenated.
Sizes to consider when choosing a bed
Choosing the proper size for your comfort demands is one of the most important aspects to consider when selecting an adjustable bed. Adjustable bedding systems are sized similarly to conventional beds.
- Twin: 38″ x 75″ – Twin beds are frequently the best option for seniors who sleep alone.
- Twin XL: 38″ x 80″ — The XL twin is suggested for taller people.
- Full: 53″ x 75″ — The full size is suggested for individuals who prefer additional breadth than a twin or who are contemplating the addition of safety rails.
- Queen: 60″ x 80″ – A size suitable for sharing with a companion.
- King or Split-King: 76″ x 80″ – Perfect for individuals who require additional space. Split/Dual-Kings are ideal for couples with varied medical needs and sleep comfort preferences, as they consist of two distinct twin mattresses that can be adjusted independently.
- California: These are ideal for taller folks or those desiring additional legroom.
With a size in mind, there are a number of extra factors to consider before purchasing.
Things to consider when choosing adjustable bed/ recliner bed for elderly
It is crucial to remember that adjustable beds may not be suitable for everyone, particularly stomach and side sleepers, as elevating the feet and upper torso is not favorable to these postures. Here are some additional adjustable bed-related facts to consider before making a purchase.
Determine Desired Mattress Support Levels
Comfort is key, but it is also essential to select a mattress that is sufficiently firm or soft to satisfy your sleep and pain relief objectives. While some manufacturers have created innerspring/coil mattresses that are compatible with specific adjustable bed bases, the majority of purchasers invest in foam, latex, or air-styled mattresses. To ensure adequate adjustment, the majority of mattresses are 12 inches or less in depth.
Explore Adjustable Base and Mattress Choices
Familiarize yourself with adjustable beds and the numerous options and features offered by each model and brand. Understand that these beds consist of a frame or foundation and a mattress that must be suitable with and complement the frame. A conventional mattress is probably incompatible with an adjustable foundation.
Desirable Characteristics of Adjustable Beds
How much assistance do you want from your bed? Many of the finest quality and most expensive adjustable frame versions include a variety of specific functions, including:
- Remote Control of Heat and Vibration
- Smart Settings
- Wireless Capabilities Zero-Gravity Technology USB Charging Ports